Date:      Mon, 30 Mar 1998 15:24:28 -0800 (PST)
From:      FBI BSD <fbibsd@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        fbibsd@yahoo.com
Subject:   Embedded sys; eliminating swap, leaks, instability?

Hi -- I'm trying to set up an embedded FreeBSD system
which will boot from a Flash memory solid state disc, and
run a customized system with various application and server
processes in RAM.

The system is expected to run for indefinitely long periods
of time (e.g. many months) without reboot / restart.
I plan to utilise 2.2-stable for the O/S.

What mechanisms are available to make it so that the system
doesn't swap (via strict prohibition, or 'in practice')?

Are there significant limitations within the memory management /
process management systems which I should be aware of in order to
prevent resource loss, inefficiency, unreliability for very long
uptimes?

If I must have a swap device, then is it possible to use something
like a MFS to reserve a memory area as the only 'swap device', with
no disc backing store for it at all?

Swapping to Flash memory would be very bad because (a) it is slow,
and (b) it has a limited rewrite lifetime.

I've seen on the hackers list various people talking of using
FreeBSD for embedded 'diskless' (Flash / ROM only) applications,
though I've never seen the issues of swaping and resource
recycling addressed.

Thanks in advance,
Chris
fbibsd@yahoo.com