Date:      Mon, 3 Jun 1996 20:32:01 -0700
From:      Sean Eric Fagan <sef@kithrup.com>
To:        michaelv@HeadCandy.com
Cc:        hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Hayes ESP

In article <199606040242.TAA18827.kithrup.freebsd.hardware@MindBender.HeadCandy.com> you write:
>I take it they arrived after 2.1.0?

I think so.  (I did them for 1.1++ originally, and tried to backpatch them
into 2.something, then sent 'em off to Bruce.)

>I don't see them there...  Were
>they based on the ESP mods incorporated into the NetBSD com driver, or
>were they developed independently?  Thanks...

They were based on the NetBSD code; I got them from the original author,
John Vinopal, and worked them into FreeBSD.

They seem to work; at least, my ESP card is recognized.  I never did the
work for the multiport versions, because I didn't understand how a multiport
card was supposed to be config'd ;).

I don't know how much, if any, advantage they have over a simple 16550,
however.  When I did the port, Bruce said he didn't think there would be
much improvement, if any, so...

Sean.