Date:      Sun, 2 Sep 2001 03:43:26 -0700
From:      "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
To:        "Chip" <chip@wiegand.org>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>, <marcus@marcuscom.com>
Subject:   RE: replacing a cisco router with a fbsd box

Let me just say that if the router hardware is flaky, then you would be
throwing good money after bad.  This is shotgunning - it's not scientific
troubleshooting.  Basically, if this works then great - but if it doesen't
then you have gained absolutely NOTHING concrete as to information to solving
the problem and you've put money into a futile solution.

>I am also looking into the possibility of using it for routing only
>and adding
>a FreeBSD box to handle natd/firewall. Maybe taking those off the router will
>have a positive effect on it?

Could be - but once again, this is not scientific either because if it
doesen't work then you still haven't gained any data on the problem.

Like I said, you must do a hardware swap with identical configuration to
even START on the path to enlightenment.

>They are reluctant to give us a loaner router, I asked them about that.
>They said something about not having one around because of the expense.
>Sounded like a lame excuse to me.

GOD DAMN IT!!!  I cannot STAND people like that - they ought to be
horsewhipped for hanging a shingle up and claiming they are a Cisco
service person.

A REAL CCIE if they didn't have a router could make a phone call and in
a day Cisco would send them out a test device.  And that is the lamest of the
lamest of the lame excuses.  I sure hope that the second the turkey said that,
that the IT manager spun him around and booted his ass out the door.

What your describing is like taking a car with a busted Mass Air Flow sensor
into a mechanic and them telling you "well maybe the MAF is busted but I can't
troubleshoot it because I don't have another MAF and another one is $200"
Well, buddy, if your going to be in the business then GOD DAMN IT get the GOD
DAMN TOOLS!!!

Any Cisco service group is going to have a selection of low-end Cisco devices
on the shelf for exactly this kind of problem.  Some people get them from
Ebay, others get them new, but nobody that is competent doesen't have them.

And, furthermore if the service guy was going to cheap his way out of doing a
decent job then he should have point blank told you he doesen't work on
routers that aren't under Cisco service, and not even come out and wasted your
money.
For the money you spent on that bastard you could have renewed the service
contract with Cisco and gotten all the TAC help you wanted as well as another
test device for free.

>> Rebooting the device and when it comes back up just saying that you don't
>> see anything wrong is the kind of amateurish troubleshooting that is used
>> with Windows users.
>
>Heh, heh, yep, and my impression is that they are primarily windoze people.

I sure hope that you guys didn't pay them for that.  It's people like that
which Cisco ought to be de-frocking of their CCIE's.  Meanwhile, people like
me who never bothered to get one and don't pull that kind of crap on customers
don't get steered any business by Cisco.  It's a cold hard world we live in.
;-)