Date:      Sat, 07 Jun 2003 17:06:04 -0600
From:      Scott Long <scottl@freebsd.org>
To:        stuart nichols <fbsdstable@cobble.capnet.state.tx.us>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: What happened with 5.1-RELEASE?

stuart nichols wrote:
> There used to be messages on this list around the time
> of a new release, letting people know what was happening,
> but that isn't happening this time.  What list should the
> following question be directed to, if not this one?

The freebsd-stable list tracks the FreeBSD 4.x series, as
that it is the 'stable' branch.  5.x is still on the HEAD branch,
and therefore by definition is 'current'.  If you're planning on
runing 5.1, then you should consider subscribing to the
freebsd-current list.

That said, I've made several announcements to the freebsd-current
list in the past week about the 5.1 release.  in short, it's
coming very soon.

> My auto-download program snagged a copy of the 5.1-RELEASE
> install ISO yesterday morning, but no release announcement
> was made.  The directories exist on most, if not all of the
> ftpNN.freebsd.org servers, but the directories are protected,
> and the one I got it from changed to disallow further downloads.

Yep, we're trying a new distribution trick this time around.  It's
called 'let the mirrors get it first' =-)

> Did something go wrong with 5.1-RELEASE that required a re-work?
> The CD boots as 5.1-RELEASE, and loads normally.  There are no
> cvsup deltas for RELENG_5_1, so no changes have been made
> available yet.

You got lucky with a small permission slip on your particular mirror.
If you're still feeling lucky, I would suggest buying a lottery ticket.

> What happened, and is there some horrible problem with the
> 5.1-RELEASE ISO I got that means I shouldn't load it?  (Too
> late for that now.)  It seems to be 5.1-RC1 with little if
> anything different except for a re-name of the version.

There were actually quite a few bugs fixed in between 5.1-RC and
5.1-RELEASE.

As others have pointed out, the release hasn't happened until the
release engineering team sends out the official PGP-signed message
to the freebsd-announce mailing list.  Nothing 'horrible' has gone
wrong, we are just being patient and making sure that *everything*
is in order for the release.  Also, consider the load on the mirrors.
4.x releases only support x86 and alpha.  5.x supports x86, alpha,
sparc64, ia64, and amd64.  That's quite a bit of data to mirror.  We
learned the hard way with 5.0 that rushing the mirrors is not the
correct way to do things.

Scott