Date:      Thu, 26 Dec 1996 18:24:57 -0700
From:      "William J. Manning" <wmanning@flash.net>
To:        <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Help, I would like to run FreeBSD..

Hi,
	Let me describe my system:
CPU:		133 MHz Pentium, Gateway 2000

Memory:	32MB

Disks:		1: 1.2 GB Hard drive, Western Digital, IDE - Master
		1: 340MB Hard drive, Western Digital, IDE - Slave

CD-ROMS:	1:6X CD-ROM, Wearnes, IDE - Master
		1:1x, CDU 33A, Sony, Sun Moon Star controller card.

OSes:		Windows 95 installed on the 1.2 GB Hard drive.

History: I received a copy of FreeBSD 2.1.5, Walnut Creek CD-ROM with
installation guide (Christmas you know). I first tried installing from a
floppy/CD ROM. After creating the boot disk, I rebooted my system. When the
floppy based boot process reached the "Boot: (short pause)" the system went
into an infinite loop printing the following line: "Error: C:0 H:0 S:0".
	I then  tried booting from the CD ROM. This process allowed me to
partition my 340MB hard drive and make several configuration choices.
However, I was unable to select my CD-ROM drive as my installation media. I
received the following error message: "No CD-ROM found on the system".
	I then tried (can you say "desperation") to build a minimal configuration
by copying the /DIST/BIN and /DIST/FLOPPIES directories from my CD to a
small DOS partition on my 340 MB drive. This allowed my to successfully
build my FreeBSD system. However, when the system rebooted the boot manager
failed to prompt me for which operating system to load. It just booted up
Windows-95. HELP!!

Goal: I would like to install FreeBSD onto my 340MB hard drive and have the
boot manager prompt me for which OS to boot! Is this possible?

Thank,
William

PS. My educational back ground: Graduate student in mechanical Engineering
(with an interest in Computer Science). Any help....