Date:      Mon, 6 Sep 1999 19:22:52 +0200
From:      Brad Knowles <blk@skynet.be>
To:        Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@flood.ping.uio.no>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: softupdates in latest build?

At 7:04 PM +0200 1999/9/6, Dag-Erling Smorgrav wrote:

> Yes, you missed the part that says you have to read this list if you
> plan to track -STABLE. If you'd read this list, you'd seen the
> HEADS-UP about src/contrib/sys moving to src/sys/contrib.

	I had not planned to track -STABLE.  I wanted an actual
functioning system that would allow me to build a new kernel, and
because of the recent breakage, I was forced to cvsup this morning.

	I followed the instructions on
<http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/stable.html>,
<http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/synching.html#CVSUP>, and
<http://www.nothing-going-on.demon.co.uk/FreeBSD/make-world/make-world
.html> to the best of my ability.

	I didn't see anything on any of those pages about checking
/usr/src/UPDATING, although I have obviously now had this procedure
pounded into my skull.

	I have been trying my best to keep up with the freebsd-stable
mailing list on anything related to building new kernels, "make
world" breakage, anything related to softupdates or vinum, etc...,
but I had only started doing so within the last few weeks.
Therefore, I had missed the earlier notice about softupdates moving.

	It would be nice to get more useful responses (such as the ones I
got from some other members of this list).

|o| Brad Knowles, <blk@skynet.be>            Belgacom Skynet NV/SA |o|
|o| Systems Architect, News & FTP Admin      Rue Col. Bourg, 124   |o|
|o| Phone/Fax: +32-2-706.11.11/12.49         B-1140 Brussels       |o|
|o| http://www.skynet.be                     Belgium               |o|
  Unix is like a wigwam -- no Gates, no Windows, and an Apache inside.
   Unix is very user-friendly.  It's just picky who its friends are.