Date:      Wed, 13 Sep 2000 12:29:39 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chris BeHanna <behanna@zbzoom.net>
To:        FreeBSD-Stable <stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Java v1.3 JDK/JRE  for FreeBSD v4.x

On Tue, 12 Sep 2000, Nate Williams wrote:

> > In dealing with the Netscape issue, I was reminded of the latest Java
> > implementation on v1.3 of the JDK/JRE. Has there been effort to
> > add Java JDK/JRE v1.3 to -current or possible -STABLE?!?
>
> Because Java is not open-source, it will never become a default part of
> the FreeBSD OS.
>
> An external port of JDK1.2.2 is in the works, to be followed by a JDK1.3
> release.  Followups to freebsd-java.

    Just FYI (and I won't continue in this forum), but I've
semi-successfully gotten IBM JDK 1.3.0 for Linux to run on FreeBSD
4.1-STABLE.  I've had no luck at all with Sun's version, which is
pretty much hard-wired to run on RedHat, period.  It won't even run on
Slackware.

--
Chris BeHanna
Software Engineer (at yourfit.com)