Date:      Mon, 21 Jun 2004 10:33:16 -0400
From:      Bill Moran <wmoran@potentialtech.com>
To:        Jerry McAllister <jerrymc@clunix.cl.msu.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Overly brief answers (was Re: Terminal Server)

Jerry McAllister <jerrymc@clunix.cl.msu.edu> wrote:

> > Nico Meijer <nico.meijer@zonnet.nl> wrote:
> >
> > > Hi Mike,

> > > Yes.
> >
> > I wanted to start a brief discussion about these kinds of answers to
> > questions.
> >
> > I've been seeing this quite a bit lately.  I don't know if it's just one
> > person,
> > of if multiple folks have picked up on it.
> >
> > <opinion>
> > This is not an answer to the question.  It does not answer the question
> > and does
> > not contribute to the OPs knowledge of FreeBSD, nor does it contribute to the
> > list archives.  It's also a violation of the rule against "me too" answers as
> > laid out in "How to Get the Best Results from FreeBSD-Questions".  It doesn't
> > even serve to educate the OP on how to ask better questins.
>
> on the issue of the _short_ answer;   In the case of this question, it is
> probably obvious that the poster needed more useful information - at least
> a pointer to some info.   Then, it looks bad to just give a smart alec yes
> or whatever other less than useful reply.

I'm wondering if these short "yes" answers aren't all smart-alec, but some of
them are possibly an attempt to answer before anyone else.

I know, I've seen a question I could answer, made sure it hasn't already been
answered (to avoid unnecessary list traffic) then crafted a carefully worded,
helpful answer, only to find 5 others appear at the same time as mine.  Kind
of makes one feel like he's wasting his time.  But it's not an excuse to send
terse, essentally useless answers.

> But, some of these questions - is FreeBSD really free, etc get frustrating
> because it is obvious that the poster didn't even read the first page of
> the web site let alone try and look for an answer.  So, a few of the
> posted questions deserve a mere yes or no answer.

I disagree, as Grog's document clearly states: "if you can't think of anything
nice to say, don't say anything at all" and I consider that list policy.

I understand your frustration.  As someone who's donated a bit to the doc
project, and can only _imagine_ how much effort others have put in to the
high-quality docs that FreeBSD has, I get annoyed when people won't read it
as well.  But I just suck it up and either post a pointer to the docs, or
delete it without answering.