Date:      Wed, 7 Mar 2012 12:02:02 -0500
From:      mikel king <mikel.king@olivent.com>
To:        Bas Smeelen <b.smeelen@ose.nl>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Network interface aliasing?

On Mar 7, 2012, at 10:59 AM, Bas Smeelen wrote:

> On 03/07/2012 04:24 PM, Mikel King wrote:
>> On 3/7/12 9:39 AM, Brent Clark wrote:
>>> Hiya
>>>=20
>>> I would like to ask.
>>>=20
>>> Is it possible to, do network interface aliasing. Im not talking =
about ip
>>> aliasing.
>>>=20
>>> I basically want to bind one process to network interface vr0:0 and
>>> another process to vr0:1.
>>>=20
>>> Thanks
>>> Brent
>>=20
>> Brent,
>>=20
>> You can rename an interface to just about anything you wish. If the
>> process allows for interface binding then you can use that new name.
>>=20
>> =
http://jafdip.com/index.php/2008/09/08/renaming-ethernet-interfaces-under-=
freebsd-7x/
>>=20
>=20
> This gives the interface a different name.
> It does not create an alias name for the interface as far as I =
understand.
>=20
> Kind regards,
> Bas
>=20

True but the alias option in BSD only allows for assigning another IP =
address to an existing interface. Taking a second look at this request =
it appears to be more of a subinterface phenomenon and not an alias at =
all.=20

As far as I recall FreeBSD does not support this sort of subinterface =
naming. But I wonder if there's a way to create pseudo interfaces to =
pull something similar off, however wonder what's the point.

cheers,
m=20