Date:      Thu, 06 Aug 1998 09:46:32 -0700
From:      Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
To:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
Cc:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>, imp@village.org (Warner Losh), hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Anybody have...

On Wed, 05 Aug 1998 23:53:42 -0700
 Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au> wrote:

 > You're probably thinking of the 82586.  The 82593 is an old low-power
 > device, used in eg. the Wavelan PCCARD adapters and some IBM notebooks.
 > (I don't think that Garrett wrote the PCCARD Wavelan
 > driver.)
 >
 > It seems laughable to me that Intel wouldn't be able to offer a
 > datasheet on such a part, when you can still get datasheets on the 8255.
 >
 > It's not clear whether the datasheet for the 82595 would shed any light
 > on what you're currently trying to work out, but it's worth a stab.

I'm pretty certain that the '595 is a fair bit different from the '593.

I believe that Matt Thomas is writing a from-scratch WaveLAN driver for
NetBSD, and is planning on just using the '586 compatibility mode of
the '593 so that the same code can be used for the ISA and the PCMCIA
versions of the card.  (The only real benefit from using the native
'593 mode, apparently, is slightly finer-grained control of the multicast
address filter... "big deal" :-)

Moffett Field, CA 94035                             Pager: +1 650 940 5942