Date:      Mon, 15 Dec 1997 23:52:51 +0000
From:      Brian Somers <brian@awfulhak.org>
To:        Kwoody <kwoody@citytel.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Log times for ppp...

> I'm using ppp in -auto mode and have noticed that in the log file that
> after I issue a kill -INT to ppp I see that it shows how long the
> connection was up in seconds.
>
> So I wrote a little awk script to pull those value's out and add them up
> so I can track my times and see when PPP is dialing out etc.
>
> But I have rc5 running on a couple of machines and they want to call out
> at random times when they need new blocks or to send anything out.
> Unfortunatly the only thing I can do is to let the connection time out
> and ppp does not record the lenght of time the connection was up when a
> connection idles out.
>
> My awk script does not pick that info out of the log file since its not
> there.
>
> Is there a way to force ppp to log the lenth of time a connection was up?
> I looked into the set log options but nothing there seemed to do what I want.
>
> I use ppp from 08/20 of this year. Does any newer version have anything
> like that?

Yep.  I rationalized the throughput and uptime stuff recently (see
throughput.c, added November 18).  You now get throughput and uptime
for the physical modem and for the IPCP layer.  On-the-fly throughput
is only measured if you ``enable throughput'', but uptime and overall
throughput are always measured.

This info is also available using ``show modem'' and ``show ipcp''.

The latest ppp is available on http://www.freebsd.org/~brian (if
you're not -current).

      <http://www.Awfulhak.org>;