Date:      Thu, 4 Jun 1998 13:49:17 -0500 (EST)
From:      "John S. Dyson" <dyson@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        nate@mt.sri.com (Nate Williams)
Cc:        dyson@FreeBSD.ORG, mike@smith.net.au, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: kernfs/procfs questions...

Nate Williams said:

> In other words, *MORE* esoteric stuff to remember, making FreeBSD/unix
> that much harder to administer.

kernfs is just as esoteric.

> Do I have a better solution Jordan asks?  The FS interface is *harder*
> for the kernel developer, but easier for the administrator.

Little or no difference...  How many times do you need to do a sysctl???
Sysctl is meant as a peek/poke into the kernel.  Of course, the
file-person's ultimate scheme '/dev/kmem' is better??? Not!!!

> Doing a job poorly or making the users memorize esoteric namespaces just
> for the sake of 'checking off a feature box' is not doing the user-base
> any favors.  Anyone motivated enough to figure it out how to configure a
> specific machine may like you, but the general user population will
> never benefit from that work since they don't have the time or ability
> to figure it out.  In other words, you'll end up working really hard for
> 1-2 sites, and no one else will aprreciate/use the resulting hard-work
> put in.  For a volunteer project, this is a shame. :(

Sorry, /kernfs is just as esoteric.  The thing that you are complaining
about is missing documentation on the hierarchy (filesystems don't provide
that automatically.)  However, our sysctl does have such a scheme
(but isn't fully implemented.)

It is *sad* when people see a scheme and adopt it blindly and
forever.  This is the "everything is a file" syndrome, oops, "everything
is a hammer" :-).

We'll be staying with sysctl until someone invents a kernfs that is just
as usable, flexible and backwards compatible, with the documentation
hooks.  Hint...  Hint...