Date:      Mon, 8 Oct 2007 20:08:47 -0800
From:      Beech Rintoul <beech@freebsd.org>
To:        Olivier Nicole <on@cs.ait.ac.th>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Upgrade of PHP4

On Monday 08 October 2007, Olivier Nicole said:
> > Doubtful, given the fact that php4 will reach EOL December 31.
> > You should plan on upgrading to php5.
>
> Thanks, now that lads to the second question, what will I break
> when updating? What should I be carefull about? I have several
> servers, managing quite many sites, with a lot of home made
> pages...
>
> TIA,
>
> Olivier

It should be ok with most current apps, but I would run them on a test
server first if it's something mission critical. Php's site has
migration info (http://www.php.net) which should be helpful for
custom scripts. Also the vendor sites should let you know if they
will work with php5. I haven't run into anything that won't in quite
a while, but your mileage may vary :-)

You will need to completely remove php4 and ALL extensions then
rebuild them with php5. FWIW, their site says that they will still
have critical patches for a while, but all official support stops at
the end of December.

Beech

Beech Rintoul - FreeBSD Developer - beech@FreeBSD.org
/"\   ASCII Ribbon Campaign  | FreeBSD Since 4.x
\ / - NO HTML/RTF in e-mail   | http://www.freebsd.org
 X  - NO Word docs in e-mail | Latest Release:
/ \  - http://www.FreeBSD.org/releases/6.2R/announce.html