Date:      Fri, 26 May 2000 16:01:35 +0100
From:      Tim Priebe <tim@polytechnic.edu.na>
To:        Tom <tom@uniserve.com>
Cc:        Victor Ponomarev <vick@unet.ru>, Stable <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Improvement of VLAN Support badly needed...

Tom wrote:

> On Thu, 25 May 2000, Victor Ponomarev wrote:
>
> > Hi All!
> >
> > Now VLAN support in stable is bad.
> >
> > Suppose you would like to really route two VLAN using a FreeBSD box as
> > router.
> >

> > host---vlan port---trunk port---vlan port---host
> >                       router
> >
> > Usually in that config router port configured as a trunk also,
> > this mean that it can received large packet.
>
>   You shouldn't connect FreeBSD to trunk ports.  Trunk ports should only
> be connected to some other switch's trunk ports.  Trunk ports connect L2
> switches together, not routers.
>
> Tom
> Uniserve

I think the problem is not one of nomanclature, but that VLAN support has
been in stable since 3.0, and it does not work properly. You can patch it
to accept the "over sized" frames, but then the kernel crashes if you open
a tcp connection. It works fine as a router with the patch, I have a
firewall that is on 10 vlans, and only has 4 ethernet ports. It is
perfectly stable if you do not try to initiate a tcp session from it. If
you do, it will promptly crash with no panic message, filesystem syncing,
etc.

The vlan support is important to me, and I use it, but it is definatly not
fully functional. It would be good if this could be fixed. I wanted to look
into fixing it, but 2 things stopped me, the first was lack of time, and
the second was some clear staments in the net mail list archives that
showed a clear distain for supporting the new standards, that added 4 bytes
to the ethernet header.

The present code does what I need at the moment, and if I ever need more
from vlan support I will probably get an ethernet card that supports it,
and try again, as I understand that it functions fine with hardware that
support vlans.

Tim.