Date:      Thu, 9 Jan 1997 17:49:05 -0400 (AST)
From:      The Hermit Hacker <scrappy@hub.org>
To:        Joe Greco <jgreco@solaria.sol.net>
Cc:        Joe McGuckin <joe@via.net>, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: CCD questions (news server)

On Thu, 9 Jan 1997, Joe Greco wrote:

> > I just switched over our news machine from a tired old Sun SS2 (with Weitek
> > upgrade) to a 133Mhz pentium with 12G of Barracudas ccd'd together,
> >
> > I arbitrarily set the interleave to 64. Is there a good method to derive
> > the optimal interleave factor?
>
> Yes - search the hackers mailing list archive for usenet, news, ccd,
> interleave, etc. and you will find one of my several essays on the subject.
>
> You are killing your performance with such a low number.

	Now I'm curious, what interleave are you using?  I don't assume its
possible to *change* the interleave once the device is created, is it?  I'm
running even lower (32), since...well...I didn't know better :(

	Should maybe add a note to the man page that states a recommended
value for a news server, or something like that? :)