Date:      Thu, 27 Aug 1998 08:22:52 +1000 (EST)
From:      John Birrell  <jb@cimlogic.com.au>
To:        tlambert@primenet.com (Terry Lambert)
Cc:        garbanzo@hooked.net, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: GNU Binutils? (Was: re: gcc 2.8)

Terry Lambert wrote:
> > Speaking of upgrading the compiler, what are the chances of upgrading the
> > binutils to 2.9.1 (at least for the ELF bits) in -current?
>
> I think the general consensus would be "yes, you can update "ld" and
> friends, if you first make them grok a.out".

Umm, we're definitely going to 3.0 with elf. The decision has been made to
leave the old aout tools for backward compatibility and *not* to add
aout support to binutils.

> > Also, the building of gas from the -current sources seems to ignore CFLAGS
> > (and CXXFLAGS), but not CC/CXX.  Should I open a pr for these and other
> > minor stuff like this?

If this is a gas build issue for the sources in the tree, it should be PR'd.

--
John Birrell - jb@cimlogic.com.au; jb@freebsd.org http://www.cimlogic.com.au/
CIMlogic Pty Ltd, GPO Box 117A, Melbourne Vic 3001, Australia +61 418 353 137