Date:      Wed, 12 Mar 2003 14:28:39 -0500
From:      Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
To:        Rob B <rbyrnes@ozemail.com.au>
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.ORG, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: HEADSUP: XFree86 4.3.0 update

At 1:00 AM +1100 3/13/03, Rob B wrote:

>Have a small problem preventing me from upgrading quite a few of
>the XFree86 4.3.0 related ports:
>
>===>   XFree86-libraries-4.3.0 depends on file:
>/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/config/date.def - found
>===>   XFree86-libraries-4.3.0 depends on shared library: fontconfig.1 - found
>cp: /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/config/version.def: No such file or directory
>*** Error code 1
>
>[root@erwin]/usr/ports: uname -a
>FreeBSD erwin.number6 4.8-PRERELEASE FreeBSD 4.8-PRERELEASE #1: Thu
>Feb 27 13:17:54 EST 2003
>root@erwin.number6:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/ERWIN  alpha

Perhaps you need to do a buildworld first.  I am not seeing the
error you mention, but I did a buildworld just before starting
the port-upgrade process.  I also did the portupgrade of the
portupgrade and ruby ports before tackling the X port.

>I also don't seem to be able to use portupgrade to upgrade
>the "meta-port" of ports/x11/XFree86-4 ... is this normal?

I believe I did:
    portupgrade -Rr -n expat freetype2 XFree86

and it looked like it would do the right thing.  I then removed
the "-n" part, and redid it, and it's been compiling away happily
for awhile now.  It's done several of the XFree86 pieces, and is
probably about 2/3rds of the way through.