Date:      Mon, 08 Oct 2001 09:37:13 +0930
From:      Benjamin Close <cisbjc@cs.unisa.edu.au>
To:        Glenn Gombert <glenngombert@onebox.com>
Cc:        unsafe at any speed <erich@ucsd.edu>, freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Current Broken on Dell Insprion 5000e ?

Glenn Gombert wrote:

> I updated all the source(s) twice this weekend and did a full buildworld/install
> world, buildkernel / install kernel..and it appears that 'Currnet' just
> 'hangs' during the boot process, it appears that something appears to
> be wrong with Current when being built and installed on my 5000e...
>
> Glenn G.

-Current now uses ACPI (Advanced configuration and power management
support ) by default. With some machines ACPI still seems to have some
issues. If your upgrading remember to read /usr/src/UPDATING which has:

20010927:
        Some weird problems result from using ACPI on some machines.
        To disable ACPI you can add
                hint.acpi.0.disable="1"
        to /boot/loader.conf (or by putting set X=Y at the boot
        loader "ok" prompt).

        Alternatively, you can remove it from /boot/kernel/acpi.ko
        or use the MODULES_OVERRIDE function in your kernel config
        file and not list acpi in that list.

So hence: set hit.acpi.0.disable=1
at the loader will probably allow your machine to boot.

Another thought is you must have /boot/device.hints
(which make installkernel would have told you about)
else you'll get no console output.

Cheers,
	Benjamin
--
3D Research Associate                            +61 8 8302 3669
School of Computer and Information Science       Room D1-07, Levels