Date:      Sat, 09 May 1998 23:53:52 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        "Jan B. Koum " <jkb@best.com>
Cc:        Remy NONNENMACHER <remy@synx.com>, adrian@virginia.edu, adrian@nvl.virginia.edu, garbanzo@hooked.net, advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: InfoBeads: Linux #2 ISP OS..

> 	BTW, HP is making HP-UX for 64bit upcoming chip Intel is working
> on. So is Solaris. Wonder if FreeBSD will need to be ported also.

This question is only coming up for you _now_?  [looks around for the
rock which Yan has obviously been hiding under] :-)

Yes, it will naturally need to be ported.  If you read any of the
press announcements that Intel has released on this thing over the
last year or so, you'll see that it is not planned to be ABI compliant
with the x86 architecture and OS vendors will need to port to it.  In
FreeBSD's case, that's unlikely to even begin until I64 parts are made
more or less widely available to our developers and I don't see that
happening anytime soon.  We'll just have to wait and see how the
market develops.

- Jordan