Date:      Wed, 22 Apr 1998 08:11:05 -0600
From:      Wes Peters <softweyr@xmission.com>
To:        allen campbell <allenc@verinet.com>
Cc:        config@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Config Databases

allen campbell wrote:
> I would like to share my thoughts on 'good export / import' here.
> The possibility of a portal file system which would export the
> various domains of the database as /etc/* files was mentioned.
> Several people, including myself, thought this was an excellent
> idea.  At the same time, the ability to write to these pseudo-files
> and cause database updates occur was also offered.  I have since
> formulated a few thoughts on this.

One of the things that makes me nervous about much of this discussion
is the ever-widening gap between the administration model on a
stand-alone FreeBSD system vs. one included in a 'managed domain'.
One of the unique benefits of using a read/write portal is the
'sameness' of the administration model.  On a standalone system,
administration is done by editing the files, which simply exist on
the disk.  In a domain member, administration is done by editing
the files, which don't really exist on disk, but look like they do.
No additional code has to be written to provide the distributed
features to system administration tools, or to consumers of system
administration information; all of the complexity *and differences*
are moved into the portal.

This is a GOOD THING.

I realize this isn't necessarily the easiest way to accomplish the
goals, but I just don't think adding yet another dependency on the
network for every running FreeBSD system is a goal we should hold
in high esteem.  Client-server computing has its places, but being
able to login to your computer *is not one of them.*  The data
needs to be replicated on the local disk in case of catastrophic
network failure, so the users might still be able to accomplish
*some* useful work.  Like loggin in.  ;^)