Date:      Fri, 17 Mar 2000 18:10:51 +0100
From:      Brad Knowles <blk@skynet.be>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>, allenc@verinet.com (Allen Campbell)
Cc:        tlambert@primenet.com (Terry Lambert), freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: This is stupid

At 4:01 PM +0000 2000/3/17, Terry Lambert wrote:

>  A new installer might emerge, if there were money in it for
>  someone to do the work.  It seems to me that the only way it
>  can be moved forward at this point is to pay someone to do
>  the unpleasent work, and the only way that someone will pay
>  for this is if they can recoup their investment.

	Jordan has tried this route on two previous occasions, and the
only positive result was some tools that they wrote in the process of
attempting to write the installer, and while the installer never
happened on either occasion the tools are still of interest and
potentially highly useful.

	I don't think that going down this same road again is likely to
be any more productive than it has been in the past.

	What I think *will* cause a new installer to be written is for
someone like Jordan or Paul to decide to simply sit down, lock the
door, take the phone off the hook, and have pizza and soft drinks
periodically shoved under the door until such time as the code is
done.

>  It might be reasonable for the foundation to require a two year
>  maximum trust in order to use the trademark, i.e. you can use
>  the trademark on a derivative work that replaces the installer
>  if you place the code in trust, and within two years (or less)
>  of first release, the code becomes the property of the foundation.

	Assuming that the project as a whole passes with their approval
initially (and they get to review that decision every time there is a
new major version), I think that this might be a decent balance of
advantage for the developer versus the long-term common good for all.

	However, whether the FreeBSD Core Team and the FreeBSD Foundation
agree is another matter entirely.