Date:      Fri, 30 Nov 2001 08:47:52 -0800
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        pjklist@ekahuna.com
Cc:        igorr@speechpro.com, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Am I forced to install Xfree86?

> From: "Philip J. Koenig" <pjklist@ekahuna.com>
> Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2001 00:25:07 -0800
> Sender: owner-freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
>
> On 30 Nov 2001, at 10:36, Igor Roboul boldly uttered:
>
> > On Thu, Nov 29, 2001 at 03:19:33PM -0800, Philip J. Koenig wrote:
> > > All I did was cd to the port directory and type "make" and then "make
> > > install". (the way it's supposed to work, AFAIK)  I got no such
> > Check /etc/make.conf and /etc/defaults/make.conf
>

> On my RELENG_4 box which hasn't been cvsup'd in a few months, there
> is no file "/etc/make.conf"

This is a file YOU must create. By default, it's not there.

> Regarding /etc/defaults/make.conf.. am I to assume that this file
> should be customized and copied to /etc?

No. This file should never be edited and copying it to /etc is
unnecessary. What you need to do is look through it and see if there
are any values you wish to have changed and enter these values into
/etc/make.conf. The values in /etc/make.conf will over-ride those in
/etc/defaults/make.conf.

This is true for all of the files in /etc/defaults.

> Furtheremore, if I were to uncomment "NO_X=	true", what would have
> happened when I went to install the mtr port, which wanted gtk as a
> dependency?  Would it automatically not fetch/compile XF86, or would
> it do it anyway because gtk is a dependency?  Aren't the settings in
> make.conf just for building the base system?

I'd have to look at the Makefile for mtr to see how it would handle
this. Some tools still install without a GUI and others will fail to
install, at all.

> To further complicate matters, my main RELENG_4 box doesn't even
> *have* gtk, yet it has mtr installed and working. (maybe I installed
> it as a binary from the release disks... but then, why wouldn't it
> have gtk if the port depends on it?)

gtk is the GIMP (GNU Image Manipulation Package) Tool Kit and is only
relevant to a GUI interface.

> I can't even find a manpage or other docs for "gtk" on the machine
> that now has it installed.  I'm sure there might be something in the
> X11 or gnome directories that is some variation of "gtk", but are you
> starting to see my point about what I'm going through just to install
> a rudimentary command-line traceroute utility?

gtk is not a part of the base system. Like mtr, it is a port that
needs to be installed. (But, without X, you can't install it.)

R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)