Date:      Tue, 31 Aug 2010 22:56:43 +0200
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        francis@optiksecurite.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ACLs inheritance problem

Sorry for not being able to answer your question, but please
allow me to mention one thing - it's about correct terminology:

On Tue, 31 Aug 2010 15:09:10 -0400, Francis Dub=E9 <francis@optiksecurite.c=
om> wrote:
> We have 3 web developpers creating files and folders in=20
> our main "web" folder. We would like to setup ACLs allowing them to=20
> modify each others file.
> [...]
> Now, when I create a subfolder or a file in the "web" folder, I would=20
> expect them to have theses ACLs.
> [...]
> Where is that new mask coming from ? Shouldn't it be the same as the=20
> default mask from it's parent directory ?

FreeBSD, as UNIX in general, has directories, not "folders". In the
last line quoted, you used the correct term. It's not that you also
called files "sheets of paper", and hard disks "drawers for putting
folders in" :-)

I know that I sound picky, but using proper terminology is important.
Please don't feel offended personally - I'm correcting nearly everyone
who talks about "folders" on this list.

--=20
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany