Date:      Fri, 17 Apr 2020 19:33:49 -0700
From:      Chris <bsd-lists@BSDforge.com>
To:        Miroslav Lachman <000.fbsd@quip.cz>
Cc:        <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: support of PCIe NVME drives

On Fri, 17 Apr 2020 08:17:56 +0200 Miroslav Lachman 000=2Efbsd@quip=2Ecz said

> Chris wrote on 04/17/2020 05:51:
> > On Thu, 16 Apr 2020 19:57:21 -0700 Mel Pilgrim=20
> > list_freebsd@bluerosetech=2Ecom said
> >=20

> >> laptop >> yesterday which has a nvme root device, it was detected by=
=20
> >> the >> 12-STABLE snapshot I used to boot from=2E=C2=A0 no other modifica=
tions=20
> >> were >> necessary on my end=2E
> >> installer > ISO but without luck=2E Still no NVME disks :(
> >>
> >> Looking at server specs, the R6515's NVME support is only through the=
=20
> >> PERC S150 RAID controller=2E=C2=A0 If that's the case, I'm pretty sure y=
ou're=20
> >> out of luck=2E=C2=A0 The PERC S-series controllers are software-based RA=
ID=20
> >> that require Dell's Windows or Linux drivers=2E=C2=A0 You'd need a PERC=
=20
> >> H-series card to get support in FreeBSD=2E
>=20
> That's something I didn't expect at all=2E So there is nothing which can=20
> be fixed on FreeBSD side? :(
>=20
> >> Someone please correct me if I'm wrong?
> > As I mentioned=2E I was suspicious of this=2E He should be able to flash th=
e=20
> > card,
> > making it a pass=2E I do a lot of them=2E If someone doesn't beat me to it=2E=
=20
> > I'll
> > dig through what I have, and see if I can't find the right image(s), an=
d=20
> > program(s)=2E
>=20
> This is rented dedicated machine=2E I cannot flash anything on it=2E
Apologies for the late reply=2E Unfortunately $JOB requires me to $WORK=2E :(
OK Given these are rentals=2E Probably the most I could supply for your
needs are images that allow you to poll, and change settings of the
controller(s)=2E I have cd9660, and USB flash images of the utilities
for the 100-300 series HBAs as provided by LSI/AvGO=2E They boot to (MS)DOS,
or to an (U)EFI prompt=2E Having read what I can; the S150 controller is
Software controlled (likely explaining the "S" in it's model number), and a=
I understand it *shouldn't* require any flashing=2E As I also understand you
*should* be able to access control of it through UEFI configs=2E I *think*
accessed via F2=2E
Apologies if this comes too late, or you've already solved this=2E
If you're still interested in the management software I have for the 100-30=
0
series=2E Let me know, and I'll attach a copy, or provide a link for you as
needed=2E

--Chris