Date:      Sat, 22 Mar 2008 16:20:07 +0100 (CET)
From:      Oliver Fromme <olli@lurza.secnetix.de>
To:        imp@bsdimp.com (M. Warner Losh)
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: vkernel & GSoC, some questions

M. Warner Losh wrote:
 > In message: <200803191633.m2JGXuBt088272@lurza.secnetix.de>
 >             Oliver Fromme <olli@lurza.secnetix.de> writes:
 > : The vkernel feature has certainly benefits, e.g. the fact
 > : that you can attach to it with standard gdb and use the
 > : familiar debugging facilities, which can attract more
 >
 > Can't you say qemu -s and attach gdb to that port as well?

Good point.  According to the manpage it would work,
but I've never tried it myself.  (I'm rather careful
with the qemu manpage because it also contains a few
things that only work on Linux.)

For loader work (i.e. non-kernel), the good old
printf debugging was sufficient for me so far.  :)

(Or maybe I was just lucky that my bugs were easy
enough to fix, so that I didn't need other debugging
facilities.  I'll certainly keep qemu -s in mind.)

Best regards
   Oliver

We're sysadmins.  To us, data is a protocol-overhead.