Date:      Sun, 4 Jan 1998 08:29:42 +0100 (MET)
From:      Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: read audio from atapi cd: success!

> Ok.  In order to add ATAPI support to tosha, I'll have to buy
> an ATAPI CD-ROM drive, I fear...  Which of them do support
> reading of digital audio?  I'd preferably like to hear about
> modern drives that can actually be bought.  Knowing that some
> old doublespeed drive supports it doesn't help, since I won't
> be able to buy it anywhere, unfortunately...  ;-)

Let me (and possibly other hackers) work on this to provide better
support. I have only tested partially the code on a CDU-55E and CDU331
(both from SONY) and they behave differently, the IDE bus freezes every
now and then, etc. When the code is more stable I will try it on more
disks to see what capabilities they have.

As for a TOSHA port it will be probably trivial to add a small piece of
code which invokes the new ioctl to your function readsectors().  This
is actually one of the first things I want to do when I have the code up and
running...

	Cheers
	Luigi