Date:      Fri, 02 Nov 2012 09:50:12 +0100
From:      Leslie Jensen <leslie@eskk.nu>
To:        Warren Block <wblock@wonkity.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: My freebsd partition changed by Windows chkdsk

2012-11-02 04:39, Warren Block skrev:
> On Thu, 1 Nov 2012, Leslie Jensen wrote:
>

>> I've replaced my dual boot hard drive with an SSD.
>>
>> My hard drive had one 100 GB windows partition and one 300 Gb Freebsd
>> slice with five partitions (/, /usr, /var, /tmp and /home).
>>
>> In order to move my Win7 partition a Norton Ghost program was supplied
>> with the new disk.
>>
>> When trying to clone that partition the process couldn't finish
>> because it needed a chkdsk command to be executed before cloning.
>>
>> I ran a chkdsk c: with the choice of correcting errors.
>>
>> Somewhere in that process the chkdsk program touched my freebsd
>> partition in a way so that it now is recognized as NTFS.
>>
>> That I trusted the chkdsk program to do what I told it to do was in
>> retrospect a bit naive ;-) I do have a backup although it's not as
>> recent as I would have liked.
>>
>> Can you think of any way to perhaps recover the data from the freebsd
>> partition?
>
> If all it did was change the partition type, that should be easy to
> change back with gpart modify.  Untested example below, make a backup of
> the disk as it is right now first.  Clonezilla will make a (large)
> binary backup.
>
> # gpart modify -i2 -t !165 ada0

I use sysinstall and fdisk to find the disk, and I get

Offset   Size(ST)      End     Name  PType       Desc  Subtype    Flags

    0         63         62        -     12     unused        0
         63     256977     257039   ad12s1      4    unknown       22
     257040  163702350  163959389   ad12s2      4 NTFS/HPFS/QNX        7
  163959390  812813778  976773167   ad12s3      4 NTFS/HPFS/QNX        7

It's ad12s3 that's my freebsd slice

gpart show ad12s3 returns

gpart: No such geom: ad12s3

How do I proceed?