Date:      Thu, 1 Jun 2006 20:08:20 +0100 (BST)
From:      Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.org>
To:        "Rick C. Petty" <rick@kiwi-computer.com>
Cc:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org, pfgshield-freebsd@yahoo.com, Hugo Meiland <hugo@meiland.nl>
Subject:   Re: Is anyone working on a port of ZFS to FreeBSD

On Thu, 1 Jun 2006, Rick C. Petty wrote:

> [Moving this discussion to freebsd-fs, since it's more appropriate there]
>
> My attempts at getting both HFS and AFS (ports/arla) working in 6.0 & 6.1
> have been futile.  Due to the lack of good documentation of the VFS
> subsystem (especially in the areas of the 6.x removals) and my continued
> frustrations trying to port both file systems, I've given up.  Maybe if I
> magically find time this summer...
>
> Anyone else working on these?  They should be easier/quicker to fix than
> trying to port ZFS, but the more FS support, the better!

I had a conversation with Hugo Meiland at BSDCan about getting Arla support
fixed up for FreeBSD, and in particular, and possibly importing the Arla nnpfs
kernel module so that it gets updated for VFS changes along with the other
kernel file systems.  I've recently gotten him set up with a FreeBSD.org
Perforce account to help facilitate that.

One of the reasons why VFS documentation is lagging currently is that the
retrofit of the VFS architecture for SMP isn't done.  There are still
significant improvements being made in 7.x, much of which will make it to 6.x,
and as we begin to see more MPSAFE file systems and SMP-oriented file system
development, I think there will be more.  You may have noticed the recent
commit to make the FreeBSD NFS client code MPSAFE in 7.x.  My hope is that
after things settle down some more in the next 6-8 months, we can see a more
serious effort to document the VFS APIs in their post-SMP state.  Doing too
much before then would probably be premature.

I've added Hugo to the CC line, perhaps he can comment on the current status
of the Arla update work.

Robert N M Watson