Date:      Tue, 27 May 2003 08:50:19 -0400
From:      James Tanis <jtanis@alumni.clemson.edu>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: no DRM with 5.0R-p7 and Radeon 9000 Fire GL (Compaq Evo N800w laptop)

	Did you update your drivers? The drivers that come with 5.0 are old and do not work with XFree86 4.3.0.. if you did everything on anholt's page you should of checked the log's for X by now, I noticed that my logs outright said that my version was too old. You can get these new drivers at http://www.xfree86.org/~alanh/bsd-drm-4.3.0-kernelsource.tar.gz and you should be good to go. Do remember, if you recompile the kernel your obviously going to have to recompile these modules or else you end up getting stuck with the old drivers again. Make sure, if you do have a custom kernel, that you do not compile the modules "statically" (ex. device radeondrm)into the kernel.. or else you'll still wind up stuck with the old drivers no matter how many times you install the new modules. Also, I'm not sure what you mean by loading the module, you shouldn't have to manually load anything. If everything's close to working properly it should load itself. Make sure you modified your XF86Config
 so that it's including the modules that X needs.
Hope a little of that helps..
TTYL,
  James