Date:      Tue, 11 Mar 1997 21:53:16 -0500 (EST)
From:      Thomas David Rivers <ponds!rivers@dg-rtp.dg.com>
To:        ponds!FreeBSD.ORG!freebsd-hackers, ponds!crh.cl.msu.edu!henrich, ponds!solaria.sol.net!jgreco
Subject:   Re: freebsd as a news server?

To add to Charles' statement below..

> In lists.freebsd.hackers you write:
>
> >Final note: You don't want to make one big filesystem.  That's a
> >mistake.
>
> It depends on the installation, I use a single 22gb ccd array for my news
> spool, optimizing transactions nicely across the disks.  Its not neccesarily a
> *bad* thing.  Also makes management much more practical.
>
> -Crh
> --
>
>        Charles Henrich     Michigan State University     henrich@msu.edu

 Also, older versions of Cnews (the one I happen to use, for example)
assume one file system, as they use 'df' et al to determine the available
free space for articles/batches/etc... if you spread your news spool
across multiple file systems; this will break.

 CCD is a great "fixer" of that particular problem.

	- Dave Rivers -