Date:      Tue, 6 Jul 1999 09:11:26 -0500
From:      "Mike Avery" <mavery@mail.otherwhen.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Update. Was "RE: Hardware Destroyed, any clues"

On 5 Jul 99, at 9:20, Stefan Boy wrote:

> Hi and thanks for all the help i got about the problem.
>
> It looks like i'm going to get a new cpu afterall. But they tell me that i
> cannot get a new motherboard cause it doesnt support BSD, even though it
> destroyed 3 Cpu's they regret to change it. ABITS AP5T doesnt support BSD.
> It works fine with Windows 95 was the answer i got.

Odd.... I've mostly heard good things about ABIT.  And I have
trouble believing that the OS wiped out your CPU.  CPU's don't have
moving parts to wear out.  Overheating can be a problem, but that's
why we use fans.

> If this is the case, then what motherboard do you recommend me to buy ?
> I'm going to use FreeBSD and Win on the same machine.

I've been happy with ASUS and AMPTRON.  I prefer ASUS because
I have more experience with them.  All of them, in different
versions, have run DOS, Win 3.X, Win95, WinNT, NetWare 3.X,
NetWare 4.X, and FreeBSD.

My own feeling here is that you may have a mis-set jumper
somewhere.  Perhaps a voltage off?  It seems wierd that three
CPU's would die....  personally, I'd get another motherboard, CPU,
and fresh RAM from another vendor.... one who will support your use
of FreeBSD.

Mike

Mike Avery                            MAvery@mail.otherwhen.com
                                          (409)-842-2942 (work)
                                                  ICQ: 16241692

* Spam is for lusers who can't get business any other way *

A Randomly Selected Thought For The Day:
    Bell Labs Unix - Reach out and grep someone.