Date:      Wed, 26 Dec 2001 16:40:42 -0600 (CST)
From:      Chris Dillon <cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us>
To:        Francisco Reyes <lists@natserv.com>
Cc:        <hardware@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Can't see Raidon Compaq DL380

On Wed, 26 Dec 2001, Francisco Reyes wrote:

> Anyone got FreeBSD Stable to work with a Compaq DL380 server?
> I tried with a snapshot from mid december. The list of hardware
> supported lists the Smartarray Compaq 5i, the Raid controller on the
> DL380, as maintained in 4.X.
>
> After booting from the kernel/mfsroot floppies I was unable to see the HDs
> on the machine.

GENERIC doesn't have the ciss driver in it.  You'll have to make a
custom installation floppy for now.

Once you've made the custom installation kernel on another FreeBSD
box, just mount the first installation disk, gzip the new kernel, and
copy the new kernel over the one on the disk.  Also be sure to remove
devices out of GENERIC you don't need or it will be too large to fit
on the floppy.

--
 Chris Dillon - cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us - cdillon@inter-linc.net
 FreeBSD: The fastest and most stable server OS on the planet