Date:      Wed, 28 Mar 2001 07:24:24 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Brandon D. Valentine" <bandix@looksharp.net>
To:        "David W. Chapman Jr." <dwcjr@inethouston.net>
Cc:        Gerhard Sittig <Gerhard.Sittig@gmx.net>, <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: MOSIX on FreeBSD

On Tue, 27 Mar 2001, David W. Chapman Jr. wrote:

>> And what exactly does the "MOSIX" thing do?  Maybe vmware, bochs
>> or another PC emulator can help you?
>www.mosix.org
>
>Sorry for the lack of terminology, but apparently is some sort of clustering
>software for linux to setup clusters with a few linux machines.

It's an alternative to MPI or PVM which performs parallel execution
across a cluster of linux machines.  It's advantage is that it can take
applications like say, Apache, who aren't MPI capable, but are threaded,
and distribute their threads over the cluster for parallel execution.
No need to rewrite code for MPI threads.  However, it's certainly not as
efficient as MPI or PVM for real world applications.  The Hebrew
University of Jerusalem writes the software and before they wrote it for
linux, they had a BSD/OS version.  They are not allowed to release the
source to the BSD/OS version, presumably because BSDi had some sort of
source restriction on them at the time.  If anything I would look into
whether BSDi owns the source and get them to release it.  It would be a
much easier FreeBSD port from there.

--
Brandon D. Valentine <bandix@looksharp.net>
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a