Date:      Fri, 21 Jun 1996 12:14:58 +0930 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        jhs@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        p.richards@elsevier.co.uk, current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: tcl -- what's going on here.

Julian H. Stacey stands accused of saying:

> FreeBSD is now a mature project, The un-elected oligarchy served us well
> in the boot straping phase, but more people are now available,
> & some change would prevent sclerosis.

Oh very funny.  If this wasn't just totally fallacious, the rest of your
suggestions would be slightly less laugable.  As it is, the current team
have the respect of all but a chronically dissatisfied few, and most of
the rest of us would prefer to hack than politik.

> We deserve the current best occupant in each `official' position,
> & that does not necessarily always match the dead hand of history,
> whereby those first appointed get top positions for life !

And you're suggesting that "democratic" elections result in the best
occupants for a position?  A selection process that has nothing to do
with aptitude for the job?  Please, don't make me laugh.

The _only_ criteria that should qualify one for any "position" is
_demonstrated_aptitude_and_dedication_.  I don't think that any of
the current incumbents fail this criteria.

> Julian H. Stacey	jhs@freebsd.org  	http://www.freebsd.org/~jhs/

I'd suggest a long walk in the sunshine.