Date:      15 Jan 2002 12:13:31 -0800
From:      swear@blarg.net (Gary W. Swearingen)
To:        Nathan Mace <nmace85@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: a CDROM based firewall

Nathan Mace <nmace85@yahoo.com> writes:

> what do you guys think of a "free" style licenced BSD based firewall on a
> bootable CDROM?  i know that suse linux provides this as a linux based
> product but it is commerical, and i'm not sure how popular it is or how well
> it works.

You could see how others have done it by searching for LRP or Linux
Router Project of which there are several variant projects and versions
which work off one floppy (some allow non-standard formats for more
room).  I just heard a lecture on it. (The HTML lecture slides should
be on gslug.org by next weekend, but there's lots of info elsewhere.)

Names -- seawall.sourceforgge.net; La Brea Tarpit; Oxigen;
Dachstein CD; Freesco; Coyote Linux; FrazierWall;

The demo I saw ran a program which asked for some config info and built
the floppy.  Then after booting the floppy it had another config program
which allowed changes to the config which could be saved back to the
floppy.  Has optional telnet and optional sshd.  The demoer didn't know
about logging, but I suppose it can keep it in RAM disk or syslog it to
another system (in the demoed system with no hard disk).