Date:      Fri, 19 Jun 2015 13:35:50 -0700
From:      Chris Stankevitz <chrisstankevitz@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   hot swap: removing hard drives

Hello,

My hardware, caddies, BIOS, OS, etc etc etc all support hot swapping
drives.  My drives are used only by ZFS.  The zpool on these drives is
not needed for the system to run.  There are no swap partitions or
anything else on these drives.  These are /dev/daX drives.

How do I safely remove the hard drives that make up this zpool?

1. zpool export (of course)

2. camcontrol stop (is this needed?)

3. camcontrol eject (is this needed?)

4. [some other commands?]

5. verify that /dev/daX is not longer listed (is this needed?)

6. Yank the drive

My guess is that only steps (1) and (6) are needed.  Steps (2) through
(5) can be omitted.

Thank you,

Chris