Date:      Mon, 8 Nov 2004 00:40:38 +0000
From:      nbco <nbco@screaming.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        Quinn Ellis <quinn1@gmx.de>
Subject:   Re: re bittorrent

On Monday 08 November 2004 00:28, Quinn Ellis wrote:
> nbco wrote:
> >Hey list,
> >I downloaded the 5.3-RELEASE-i386-disc1 iso via bittorrent.
> >
> >The iso (644.91MB) downloaded in about 3 hours, over a  512/256 adsl
> >connection. Which I think is pretty good.
> >
> >There don't seem to be that many people uploading it from me at the
> >moment.
> >
> >I'm impressed,
> >.nbco
>
> Why do you download with bittorrent as opposed to FTP?
> Quinn.

Hi there,
Well, I suppose one of the main reasons is to keep pressure off the ftp
servers:
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-questions/2004-October/060205.html
Also it's being released as a torrent on an experimental basis:
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-current/2004-November/042511.html
The community were interested in it coming out this way too:
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-questions/2004-November/063501.html

.nbco