Date:      Fri, 19 Dec 2014 03:44:07 -0800
From:      Mark Millard <markmi@dsl-only.net>
To:        Nathan Whitehorn <nwhitehorn@freebsd.org>
Cc:        FreeBSD PowerPC ML <freebsd-ppc@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 10.1 PPC64 on XServe G5 hangs at Openfirmware Loader [likely an example of a long standing problem]

Per your request I downloaded an example memstick.img (I picked =
FreeBSD-10.1-STABLE-powerpc-powerpc64-20141207-r275566-memstick.img) and =
dd'd it to a usb stick. Using that stick plugged in the front of a 16 =
GByte RAM PowerMac G5 and booting with the openfirmware command

boot ud:2,\ppc\bootinfo.txt

does not hang where the CD boots do: it always gets well past that and =
clears the screen after the openfirmware stage/display is done.

I have successfully booted all the way with that.

But I've also had the classic intermittent boot-time panics/hangs. (A =
basic message about the issue was produced each time, unlike the silent =
early-hangs I've gotten in the past.)

Of course even these failures to complete the boot are evidence for your =
ISO9660 expectation likely being right: It is a different, later problem =
when it panics/hangs later in the boot.

=3D=3D=3D
Mark Millard
markmi at dsl-only.net

On Dec 18, 2014, at 10:04 PM, Nathan Whitehorn <nwhitehorn at =