Date:      Fri, 21 Jun 2013 09:43:58 +0200
From:      Matthias Andree <matthias.andree@gmx.de>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: devel/doxygen: Does anyone need the PDF docs built?

Am 21.06.2013 07:11, schrieb Naram Qashat:
> Hello all,
>
> I have been sitting on an update for devel/doxygen, but have not
> submitted it because I am unable to build the PDF docs for it. I have
> yet to get a reply from doxygen's developer about this.
>
> The error I get seems to be related to the teTeX distribution that
> FreeBSD currently defaults to. I have not tested with TeXLive, but if it
> doesn't build with teTeX, then it wouldn't help to test TeXLive.
>
> What I would like to know is if there is anyone who actually needs these
> PDF docs to be built. I'm starting to lean towards just removing these
> docs from building, making it so the only docs available are HTML docs.
> These docs existed whether or not you wanted the PDF docs, as long as
> the HTMLDOCS option was selected.
>
> I would like to get the update to doxygen out as soon as possible, so
> the sooner I see replies about this, the sooner I can push out an update.

Dear Naram,

my reasoning is:

-  doxygen uses itself to extract its own documentation

-> if it cannot build PDF documentation for itself, it cannot build
   PDF documentation for any user projects using PDF output either.

   This would break working PDF build systems for end users.

So my conclusion is that you should *wait with the upgrade* until the
situation is understood.

You can, in the meantime (while you are waiting for Dimitri's help):

- post your upgraded port for testing on some website, to see if the PDF
problem affects other users, too;

- show the PDF build failures, and post them here, to see if anyone else
has a clue.

Hope that helps.

Best regards
Matthias