Date:      Wed, 12 Nov 1997 00:10:23 +0100
From:      Philipp Reichmuth <uzsv2k@uni-bonn.de>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   ELF binary type not known

Dear Mr. "FreeBSD-questions"!

I have a problem with the Linux emulation; I am running 2.2.5-STABLE at
CTM #501 and the COMPAT_LINUX option compiled into the kernel (bit of
leftover from my 2.1.7 system). (2.1.7 means that I _once_ _ran_ 2.1.7
but reompiled virtually everything except Netscape... to 2.2.5.)

I tried to install the linux_lib 2.4, and it tries to run the Linux
ldconfig (ldconfig, I think) at the end of the make install process.
When it tries to do this, it says "ELF: binary type not known, signal 6:
ignored". The make install completes OK, though.

Then I took the Linux StarOffice-3.1 rpm's from one PD CD that I've got,
so I had to install the Linux Red Hat package manager that came with its
own cpio for usage on older Linux systems. Of course, the first thing I
got was "ELF: binary type not known". I take it there must be an error
somewhere in my system because everybody is really praising the Linux
emulation and on my system it doesn't even run ldconfig and cpio. This
happens with or without the "linux" option enabled in rc.conf.

What's wrong?

Philipp