Date:      Thu, 6 Nov 2003 10:12:58 -0800
From:      "Drew Tomlinson" <drew@mykitchentable.net>
To:        "FreeBSD Gnome" <freebsd-gnome@freebsd.org>
Subject:   MPlayer & Gnome 2.4

I used to use Gnome 2.2 on a 4.8 box and run mplayer.  This arrangement
worked fine.  However, since upgrading to Gnome 2.4, I've had problems
with mplayer.  Video runs smooth for about 2 - 3 minutes and then begins
pausing briefly every 5 - 10 seconds.  The pause lasts a fraction of a
second and then catches up.  The audio is fine.  Sometimes the audio and
video get out of sync but catches up over time.  Options enabled are
frame dropping, hard frame dropping, and autosynch.  I'm using the xv
(default?) video driver and the esd audio driver.  The same stream on
the same network from the same server does not have this problem in
Windows Media Player on a Windows box.  This behavior is consistent
across various codecs and streams.

In the beginning, I suspected the problem was introduced in an mplayer
upgrade but now I think it might have come from the Gnome upgrade.
Although the box is a 2.2 GHz Pentium 4 processor with 256K RAM, I
suspect it can't keep up.  I normally used gmplayer but tried a regular
mplayer session started from a terminal window.  What I noticed is that
the counters pause when the video pauses.  In fact, the whole machine
pauses.

I've tried running 'top' but I don't see any excessive cpu usage.
mplayer only uses around 23% of the cpu and the rest of the system is
only using 8% - 10%  But maybe I don't see anything here because a usage
spike is gone before the next top update?

Anyway, any suggestions on things to check to confirm or deny my
suspicions?  Has anyone else experienced this?

Thanks,

Drew