Date:      Fri, 7 Mar 2003 01:56:21 -0400 (AST)
From:      The Hermit Hacker <scrappy@hub.org>
To:        Marc Spitzer <mspitze1@optonline.net>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: "leak" in softupdates?

On Thu, 6 Mar 2003, Marc Spitzer wrote:

> On Thu, 06 Mar 2003 08:46:07 -0800
> Darcy Buskermolen <darcy@wavefire.com> wrote:
>

> > I have had simular experiances with this very phenominom under 3.X,
> > although I have only ever seen it when you fill the partition ie 101%
> > used and it only happens on partitions with softupdates.
> >

> I do not mean to state the obvious, but have you tried to
> look for open files on the partition, especially ones that have
> been deleted but are still held open by the process?  lsof will
> give you a list.  I am just mentioning it because it has got me
> in the past.  You could also try turning off daemon processes
> one at a time and see if that helps.

Tried that, using both lsof and fstat ... nothing is showing up ... in my
case, I'm suspecting that the system is to busy for softupates to be able
to sync to disk properly ... if I type 'reboot' to reboot the machine, it
seems to take longer then normal to actually drop my connection, which I'm
guessing is the time its taking to write everything to the drive ...

I just disabled softupdates on that file system, so will see if that makes
any difference ...

And before you say anything about the 'too busy' comment, Tor Egge just
spent the past week with me identifyng a "bug" in vnlru_proc where it
couldn't reclaim vnodes fast enough, causing the server to hang ... he
provided me with a patch to changes it reclaimation algorithm to speed
things up to a reasonable level ...

Systems Administrator @ hub.org