Date:      03 Oct 2001 23:58:44 +0200
From:      Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@ofug.org>
To:        "David E. Cross" <crossd@cs.rpi.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-fs@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: OpenAFS

"David E. Cross" <crossd@cs.rpi.edu> writes:
> Ugh, I have read all of those.  I am not left with a good understanding
> of things like VOP_LOCK (when it is needed... based on some previous
> discussions various operations give you the vnode locked or unlocked and
> expect it returned in a state that may not be how they handed it to you, etc)

The man pages for the individual VOPs document this:

LOCKS
     VOP_OPEN(9) expects vp to be locked on entry and will leave it locked on
     return.

     VOP_CLOSE(9) expects at least a reference to be associated with the vnode
     and does not care whether the vnode is locked or not.  The lock and ref
     erence state is left unchanged on return.  Note that vn_close expects an
     unlocked, referenced vnode and will dereference the vnode prior to
     returning.

For quick reference, consult src/sys/kern/vnode_if.src.

DES
--
Dag-Erling Smorgrav - des@ofug.org