Date:      Fri, 30 Nov 2001 11:30:17 -0600
From:      Darren Crotchett <darren@crotchett.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        Brian Sobolak <sobolak@mindspring.com>
Subject:   Re: upgrade gone bad

OK.  Here is (retyped) what happens on boot:

F1	FreeBSD
Default: F1

BTX loader 1.00 BTX versoin is 1.01
Console:  Internal video/keyboard
Bios Drive A: is disk0
Bios Drive C: is disk1
BIOS 639kB/317444kB available memory

FreeBSD/i386 bootstrap loader, Revision 0.8
(jkh@narf.osd.bsdi.com, Sat Apr 21 08:46:19 GMT 2001)
Unable to load kernel:
Aborted!
/
Hit [Enter] to boot immediately, or any other key for a command prompt!
<If I wait, after a moment, it continues with ...>
Booting [kernel] ...
can't load 'kernel'
can't load 'kernel.old'
Type '?' for a list of commands, 'help' for more detailed help.
ok

Here, I type "boot kernel.prev" and it will boot that kernel.  I can't find
any kernels with a date different than my original install date (except for
one kernel.bak that I believe was created for me the day I upgraded).  So,
I'm guessing that there is no kernel for 4.4.

That's pretty much everything I know to give you.  Let me know if you need
anything else.

TIA,
Darren