Date:      Thu, 25 Jan 2001 20:08:45 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        mckay@thehub.com.au (Stephen McKay)
Cc:        fullermd@futuresouth.com (Matthew D. Fuller), jcm@FreeBSD-uk.eu.org (j mckitrick), chat@FreeBSD.ORG, mckay@thehub.com.au
Subject:   Re: silly C style question

> >But indenting the braces?!  That's a stoning offense.  I can't read it to
> >save my life.
>
> Go on!  Give it a go!  It grows on you.  And it's logical too.  Just
> think of the language components like a parser would and group logical
> units together.

It makes ^D odd to use in vi when autoindent is turned on.

You can also re-argue the '{' at the end of the line from the
having to hit the return key perspective.

> Anyway reindenting is a bad idea if the original code has any identifiable
> style.  Go ahead and reindent the stuff that is erratically arranged (I've
> seen plenty of it), but leave the rest alone.

Mixing code styles is a bad thing, no matter what.  If you take
erratically arranged code and reindent it, you should probably
only go so far as to make it ratically (maybe I'm being chalant?)
arranged, and not cause the code to change style.

Either do everything, or do nothing, but please don't waffle in
between, or you'll be messing with the cognition of the person
trying to read it to the point of promoting mistakes.  Even a
consistently bad style is better than mixed style.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.