Date:      Mon, 14 Mar 2005 22:14:47 -0800
From:      Jeff Behl <anon1@santaba.com>
To:        Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>
Cc:        Jung-uk Kim <jkim@niksun.com>
Subject:   Re: IPMI doesn't work...

Julian Elischer wrote:

> Jeff wrote:
>

>> I'm not sure what you mean by in band.  The IP address of the BMC is
>> assigned via the bios and is different from what the OS later
>> assigns.  With imiptool we can turn on/powercycle/monitor via the BMC
>> assigned address up until the point where the kernel loads.  Once it
>> does, the BMC no longer responds.  This doesn't happen with the two
>> linux distros we've tried it on.  Wtih both, including SuSE, we can
>> still query/control via the BMC using ipmitool.  It seems to be some
>> sort of driver issue to me.  I find it confusing that the NIC is
>> shared between the BMC and the OS, but I guess that's just how it's
>> done.  Perhaps the bsd broadcomm driver is simply blocking this
>> somehow...
>

> you have to assign it the same address!

that's not the way it's supposed to work, afaik.  it'd be silly to tie
the BMC address and the OS assigned address together.  you give the BMC
an ip address via a little program that comes from IBM and this address
is independent of the ip address that whatever os you use on the system
assigns to the nic.  the redbook that Jung-uk sent a link for shows this
process if you're interested.

like i said earlier, having different ip addresses (the BMC's being in
private address space) works fine with the linux kernel...