Date:      Sun, 1 Nov 1998 22:20:09 -0500 (EST)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@mat.net>
To:        The Hermit Hacker <scrappy@hub.org>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG, John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
Subject:   Re: ECGS ...

On Sun, 1 Nov 1998, The Hermit Hacker wrote:

> I'm generally the last person to complain about a particular port, but why
> is there a development version of EGCS 2.x in the ports, but not stable
> version? :(
>
> I'm trying to get KOffice working, which requires mico 2.2.1 to compile
> with --disable-mini-stl, but it fails, where it works find under EGCS 1.1
> ...  I've sent email to the egcs developers asking them about it, but,
> assuming that at one time there was a 1.1 stable port of EGCS, any way of
> getting that un-earthed and put into ports beside the development/snapshot
> version?

Does it compile with gcc-2.8.1?  I found that to be a more stable
compiler.  Obviously, it's one step behind in development that egcs, but
if it works, and it's more stable, that sounds very good.

I've been wondering if an upgrade of the system gcc might be in the
works, now that the elf kernel is a reality  (I know, I know, never
satified, am I?)

213 Lakeside Drive Apt T-1  |
Greenbelt, MD 20770         | I run Journey2 and picnic (FreeBSD-current)
(301) 220-2114              | and jaunt (NetBSD).