Date:      Thu, 13 Jan 2000 18:52:18 -0500 (EST)
From:      Colin <cwass99@home.com>
To:        Agent Drek <drek@MonsterByMistake.Com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG, "Chad R. Larson" <chad@DCFinc.com>
Subject:   Re: access floppy rw to lock system

On 13-Jan-2000 Agent Drek wrote:
> On Wed, 12 Jan 2000, Chad R. Larson wrote:
>
>|As I recall, Agent Drek wrote:
>|>
>|> I have a repeatable problem on my FreeBSD-3.4Stable workstation.  If
>|> the floppy disk is physically tabbed as read-only and I mount it rw I
>|> can then 'lock' the system up by using vim (to read a text-file on the
>|> disk ...  less had the same problem).  Is this expected behaviour?  I
>|> did this from the console and could still <Alt> between the virtual
>|> consoles.  The only way to get going again was to reboot.  After that
>|> happened twice I tabbed the disk writable and things were fine.
>|
>|I'd start by asking, "Why would you do that?"

     There are, oddly enough, occasionally reaons for things like floppies.
That one could slip, unnoticed, into the drive write-protected...see where this
is going?
     This is where I get concerned.  Failure writing to a floppy shouldn't hang
the system.  That it does would imply a problem with the driver at the very
least.  Or am I failing to trip on the blatantly obvious here?

cheers,
Colin