Date:      Wed, 10 Feb 1999 18:37:31 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>
To:        asami@cs.berkeley.edu (Satoshi Asami)
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.ORG, jkh@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ignoring package dependencies

> +PKG_IGNORE=		'(XFree86-3\.3\.3\.1|Motif-2\.1\.10)'
> +

Call it something like PKG_IGNORE_DEPENDS and I'll be happier with it
(I already made the mistake of naming a number of early ports
variables in a not-very-distict fashion and have regretted it ever
since).  You might want to introduce other types of "ignore this
package" directives later, for all we know.

Otherwise, yes, it's a change I'm definitely for.  See below.

> entry made.  For XFree86, Jordan already fixed it but we've gotten
> enough "I have XFree86-3.3.3, why is it complaining about

Actually, I didn't really fix it at all, I just added a hack to
sysinstall which works around it in one specific
(installation/upgrade) case.  People who add X components afterwards
by reading the XFree86 installation docs instead are still basically
screwed since they won't know enough to extract the package
registration tarball.  Hmmm.  If this goes into ports before 3.1 comes
out, does that mean I can simply remove the hack?  It would personally
make me very happy since it would mean we could go back to pointing at
the official XFree86 bits again rather than having our own
cached-and-modified versions under ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD (which
can go stale in the face of updates from the XFree86 project).

- Jordan