Date:      Sat, 31 Mar 2007 20:42:59 +1000
From:      Peter Jeremy <peterjeremy@optushome.com.au>
To:        Scott Bennett <bennett@cs.niu.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: working version of acroread7 for FreeBSD 6.1-RELEASE needed

--AhhlLboLdkugWU4S

On 2007-Mar-30 17:47:43 -0500, Scott Bennett <bennett@cs.niu.edu> wrote:
>     Please note, as well, that it is difficult to know where to begin when
>reporting problems with ports, packages, or the ports and packages subsyst=
em.

A good start would be the exact command you executed and the error
you got (the last screenful or so of output), together with any
options you might have in /etc/make.conf etc.

For a more detailed description, see
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/articles/problem-reports/

>The ports and packages subsystem is a great idea, but in practice, it is t=
he
>weakest part of the FreeBSD distribution.

My experiences differ - I am extremely impressed by the ports system
and consider it far superior to what is available on commercial Unices.

>  It is easily rendered partially or
>wholly useless by bugs in some of the ports' setups themselves (python 2.4
>under 6.1, ruby18 under 5.4, for examples).

Would you care to expand on these "bugs".

>  Many of the ports do not build properly or at all.

All ports are regularly built on all supported versions of FreeBSD.
Almost all of my ports build problems have been self-inflicted (eg
incorrect local patches or make.conf entries).  OTOH, I agree that
there are a number of ports that build but have serious runtime bugs.

>  mplayer, for example, does not build under 6.1 because
>it hangs at a configuration screen that displays only part of the screen, =
will
>not accept any inputs, and can only be gotten out of by ctrl-C or some oth=
er
>terminating signal.

I haven't built mplayer on 6.1 for quite a while but I don't recall
ever seeing anything like that.

>  If I could get mplayer to work, I'd be another step
>closer to dumping Windows XP.

I don't have any problems with mplayer on (an old) 6.1, 6.2/i386,
6.2/amd64 or (an old) 7-current.

--=20
Peter Jeremy

--AhhlLboLdkugWU4S